21 January 2008

In Honor of MLK

"Injustice Anywhere is a Threat to Justice Everywhere"
Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Today is Martin Luther King Jr Day. I think that this holiday is such an important day for all Americans. It's great day to reflect on the past--a past full of such great injustices. And to help us look to a future that can hopefully reflect the hard lessons learned of such climatic time in American history.


It also turns my memory back a few pages to a trip I took my junior year of college. I went with a group of fellow spring breakers to Clarksdale, Mississippi. This was definitely not the typical spring break--no sandy beaches, no copious amounts of alcohol and definitely no sleeping in til noon. We traveled to the Northern Mississippi Delta for a program called Mission:Possible and it was our 'mission' to help out at a Boys & Girls Club and a soup kitchen for a week. On the first Sunday, we had the privilege of going to the Civil Rights Musuem in Memphis, Tennesse. If you ever have the opportunity to get to Memphis, please, Please, PLEASE go to this incredible museum. Now I've been to my fair share of museums and I must say, this is, by far, one of the BEST museums I've ever been to!



The facade of the musuem is actually the facade of the Lorraine Motel--the motel where Martin Luther King Jr was assassinated. They even have the cars parked out front of the balcony, just like they were that fatal day.



I think one of my favorite things about this museum is that as you walk in, they have this huge photo gallery that clearly demonstrates the entire climate of the country at the time the Civil Rights battle was in high gear--everything from Vietnam War protests, college campus incidents and the many incidents of Civil Rights violations. As you continue through the museum, they have several "displays that put you in the place of the people as they were forced to sit in the back of the bus, drink out of different water fountains and everthing else they were forced to endure. You can even stand in the room that MLK was staying in.
The entire week in general had such an incredible impact on myself personally, but this musuem really stood out in mind and I gained a great deal of insight and respect for Martin Luther King Jr.
Despite everything that happened during Martin Luther King Jr's life, he shines as beacon of light for all--his commitment not only to his faith, but his commitment to what is right, revolution through nonviolence and standing up for what you believe in no matter what is something we all can and should emulate.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
Martin Luther King Jr.


2 comments:

Gina said...

Oh Jen, I LOVED that trip as well. I completely agree about that museum. I was just talking about it the other day in fact and thinking about how you ate all that up! And don't get me started on all of the other goodness that came from this trip (Wal-mart in Spanish, anyone???) Anyway, I'm so glad you posted the pictures of the museum today - thanks for reminding me of such a great trip!

Melissa said...

Beautiful piece Jen! Very thoughtful and thought provoking!