22 January 2008

10 Things I Love About Heath

Today, shortly after lunch, I received several text messages and emails from friends to inform me that one of my favorite actors, Heath Ledger, had been found dead in a New York City apartment. Here is my tribute to Heath Ledger:

10. That smile. I mean, seriously, that smile has the power to melt glaciers, move mountains and make my knees weak.

9. The accent! I really don't need to say much about this, one right?

8. The scene in 10 Things I Hate About You when he sings to Julia Stiles at soccer practice. Showing here:


7. A Knight's Tale. By now, most are familiar with my quote book. One of my favorite entries into my beloved quote book was spoken by Heath in this movie: "Love hath given me wings so I must fly"

6. He fell in love with Dawson's Creek's 'Jen'. She was really the only character on that show I liked. Well, I liked Katie Holmes until she married that alien.

5. Brokeback Mountain. I mean, c'mon, this was one risky role and he took it all the way to the Oscars. He was phenomenal in this movie. And that leads me to my next one...

4. After the huge success of 10 Things, he didn't let himself slip into 'teenage heartthrob zone'. He instead was picky with his roles and allowed himself to not be cast into the box of another teenage movie.

3. The part in 10 Things I Hate About You when Julia Stiles asks him "Tell something nobody knows" and he responds "I hate peas" and then flashes that million dollar smile. Seriously.

2. Ledger started a record company with one of my favorite singers, Ben Harper. He directed Harper's music video for the song "Morning Yearning". Talk about a Renaissance Man--he knew his Shakespeare (10 Things I Hate About You), American History (The Patriot), Medieval times (A Knight's Tale) and classic music (I'm Not There).

And the #1 reason I love Heath Ledger:

1. I got to fall asleep to him watching over me every night freshman year of college. I had the movie poster from A Knight's Tale hanging over my bed, lovingly watching me as I slept. It also helped me get up in the morning because the first thing I saw when I opened my eyes. He wished me well on all my midterms, he coaxed me to do my homework and we watched alot of movies together. I will miss those times the most.
January 22nd, 2008. A sad day for the movie industry. A sad day for Michelle and Matilda. A sad day for Perch, Australia. And a sad, sad day for me.

No comments: