28 April 2008

Big Day

Today is the Tomorrow You Worried About Yesterday
And All is Well.

Today was, literally, the first day of the rest of my life. I officially started my full time Starbucks career today. Which to be quite honest, hasn't really sunk in yet.
My day started bright and early at 3:30am. I had to be at work at 4:15am. The great thing about opening is that it goes by so quickly. Sometimes too quickly! My shift today was kind of rocky in the sense that I never really got a handle on it. It was surprisingly busy! But I think I just need this week to get acclimated to my new routine and the things that happen on a day to day basis in the store.
After work I slipped into my *new* running shoes and thanks to some beautiful weather, I hit the trail around Green Lake. Green Lake is easily one of my favorite places in this city. The wind greeted me as I ran around the lake as I have done dozens of other times. But today was different--for the first time in a really long time I am genuinely happy. It's as if a huge burden as been lifted off my shoulders. I knew that each of my steps pounding the pavement were marking out my future, allowing me to finally take control. And then I cried; tears of joy. relief. I continued to run. I ran until every muscle in body was screaming for oxygen. As I stopped at the shore, gazing over Green Lake, I felt renewed. Refreshed. Recharged.

The best really is yet to come.

2 comments:

em said...

smiling right now and thought of you a million times this afternoon realizing that you were just enjoying a free and gorgeous afternoon in your 'new' life! :)

Whitney said...

love, love, love you :)