04 May 2008

Bloomies Unite!


This past Sunday was the annual running of the Lilac Bloomsday Run in Spokane, Washington and made the trip to the east side to partake in my 4th Bloomsday. My friend Brandi drove up from Portland and then we headed to the 509 on Saturday afternoon.

Bloomsday is a 7.46 mile road race that literally takes over the streets of Spokane. This year saw 42,697 'Bloomies' take their turn on the course. Bloomsday is such a fun event--there is live entertainment along the entire course, tons of people cheering you on from the sidelines.



I have to be honest--I did not train for this year's Bloomsday as I have in the past. I basically was hoping that my adrenaline would propel me to run the majority of the course. Lucky for me, my adrenaline showed up. I did walk a little--I would venture that I ran 6 out of the 7.46 miles. My finish time was not my best, but I was happy to cross the finish and get my t-shirt. And for the record, I did run up the entirety of Doomsday Hill.

Here are my stats:
Finish Time: 1 hour, 31 minutes
Finishing Place: 13, 817 out of 42,697
198th out of 505 in the category of 24-year old females.

You can see me cross the finish line here: (I'm wearing a blue shirt with red shorts)

Apart from the race, the trip to Spokane was really quite nice. I got to see a few of my favs, eat at a couple of my favorite restaurants (I miss Ultimate Bagel more than Kwan misses the gold). And after the race I got to walk through campus a little bit. There is just something so special about campus to me and I'm glad I got the opportunity to walk through it on my quick little trip.

Can't wait for next year's Bloomsday!

2 comments:

Gina said...

I'm so sad I missed it. : ( But we WILL be doing it again together in the somewhat near future. I miss my Bloomie Buddy!

Whitney said...

I can't believe you saw Shasta and Brad in that crowd - there must be one trillion people there!