09 March 2008

A Decision Has Been Made

I believe strongly in 'Cost-Benefit Analysis'. I've decided many things using this technique.
When Jen is faced with a tough decision she gets out a pad of paper, 3 sharpened pencils and lets the process begin. And then I let it simmer for a couple of days--adding and subtracting things from the list as they come. For me, it's more realistic when I have it on paper, in black and white, right in front of me.

Anyway, for the past couple of months I've really been struggling with what I'm supposed to be doing with my life. I've wrestled with so many ideas and dabbled in a few others. There have definitely been some moments when I feel as though, for the first time in my life, I have nothing to pour my hear into. In high school, it was sports and school. In college, it was school and the clubs I was in. Now, it's....it's....it's....NOTHING. I feel like a robot. I feel like a girl on auto pilot. I have coasted through this year, spending so much time doing nothing.

Until now.

On Saturday I sat down with my Store Manager and had an open and honest conversation about my future, my goals and what I want to be doing in the next 5 years. I've decided that I am currently on a path that may lead me where I want to go. But then again, it may not. So, in order to get on the path that will help get to my desired destination, I'm changing courses. I don't know when it's all going to go down, but the ball has begun to roll.

A strong 'benefit' in my Cost/Benefit Analysis is something my store manager once said to me:

I'm absolutely in love with what I do for a living.


I want to feel that way. And right now, I'm just living to work. My supposed 'work-life balance' is a figment of my imagination and most days, I have to drag myself out of bed. I'm done with that. I'm ready to move on.

Sometimes you just gotta leap and the net will appear. I'm ready to leap.

No comments: