03 March 2008

Book of the Moment

For anyone the knows me, they know that I've never been on the cutting edge of fashion. I'm far from fashion forward and my sense of style is pretty bad. I don't know what's in this season or what is out from last season.

So, in an effort to overcompensate for my inability to know the fashion of the moment, I will blog about 'my book of the moment'. It will simply be the book that I either currently devouring or one that I recently read.

The first official 'Book of the Moment' will be:

Anna Quindlen's One True Thing


I would first like to point out how much I love Anna Quindlen. She is the author of one of my favorite books, Rise and Shine. She is such an insightful writer, she makes the reader really connect with the characters in her novels.

That being said, One True Thing is about a girl my age who had recently graduated from Harvard and had just moved to New York City with nothing but the sky as her limit. Until her mother is diagnosed with cancer and has to quit her job, break up with her boyfriend and move back to the little town she grew up in. In the course of caring for her mother, Ellen learns so much about the mother she once took for granted and the father who she used to worship.

It's a book that really focuses on the special relationship that girls have with their mothers and how important our mothers are to our everyday life. It's a real quick read and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend it to anyone that has ever had a mother. :)

1 comment:

em said...

ooo-sounds like a good one! thanks for the synopsis :)