11 October 2007

When In Doubt, Run It Out


When life gets too much and I feel like I'm going to explode, I only know of one thing that relieves all the pent up energy.

A good long run.

Nothing like burning lungs, aching muscles and some great pump up music to get the blah out of the day. Today was one of those days that I just needed to go. And today was perfect. I chose one of my favorite places in Seattle--Green Lake. The trees are starting to turn and it's not as crowded as it is during the summer days. I love the days when you have to wear your running pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. The crisp autumn air made my lungs ache, but in the best way possible.

All the elements fell into place as my feet pounded the pavement, my breathing matched the pump of my arms and the beat of the music pulsed through my body. Running is such a cathartic thing for me--it's the only way I allow my bottled up emotions come out.

And so I run. I run because it lets me release all the bad thoughts I had during the day, all the negative emotions I'm feeling and just clear my mind so that the only thing I'm thinking is 'keep going...a little longer...five more minutes'.

I'll keep running. Because it lets me be selfish. It's the thing I do that's just for me and nobody else.

No comments: