10 October 2007

Side Order of Hair


Let's talk about side ponytails. I believe that they are close cousins to the mullet. While yes, the mullet proves to be a multi-faceted 'do (refresh: party in the back, business in front), the side pony is more fashion friendly, but equally as distasteful.

I think it's safe to say that the mullet, no matter the context, will always be a fashion faux pas. The side pony, on the other hand, I'll give some leeway. Let's be honest, Mischa Barton can pull the side pony off pretty good. But mere mortals are not as capable. Let's take this waitress I had tonight. She was real nice, and an okay waitress, but it looked like she had been taking a nap and the weight of her head and the pressure of the pillow displaced her regular ponytail. I understand the dilemma that girls face as you struggle to come up with an alternative to the regular pony tail, but I stress the importance of re thinking your initial urge to sport the side pony. I tend to use it strictly in jest and for a good belly laugh.

And I caution you--never crimp your hair AND rock the side pony. That is double whammy no-no. Save it for the 80s parties and Madonna Tribute parties.

Don't even get me started on mullets. Or fanny packs.

"In matters of style, swim with the current. On matters of principle, stand like a rock."
-Thomas Jefferson

No comments: