24 November 2008

Speak No Evil

"Our speech, whether it is about others or to others, tends to tear down or build up. It either corrups the minds of our hearers, or it gives grace to them."
From Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges

I definitely stole this quote off of my friend Emily's blog (thanks, e-dub!) and I've been thinking about it recently. And i've been able to think about it on both sides of the coin--from my perspective, from the words i use with my co-workers, my friends, my family, anyone i come across. And I had an experience the other night that allowed me to experience the other side. And Jerry Bridges is for real--words do have the capacity to tear you down or build you up. It's amazing how a person I barely know can make me feel so insecure, so timid. But his words are still echoing in my head.

It has definitely made me think more about the words I use.

No comments: