30 June 2008

Hoopfest!


Let's talk about one of my favorite weekends of the year: Spokane Hoopfest weekend.

This past weekend was my third year as a Court Monitor at the world's largest 3 on 3 basketball tournament. As per usual, it was a good time! This year I was placed on the youth female court and that consisted of 5th and 6th graders. In past years, I didn't have to worry about calling fouls--the players were responsible for that part, I was just there to keep things organized, call out of bounds, make sure the rules are followed, etc. Not this year. I had to actually call fouls! I have to admit, I was less than excited to have to actually ref the games. I was worried I would be horrible. I was worried players would yell at me. I was scared the parents would be unforgiving and ridiculous.

Boy was I wrong on all levels. It ended up being such a great experience doing the young girl's games. Sure I had a few issues with people but nothing major. I had several parents and coaches tell me that I did a great job, that I was consistent and they couldn't have asked for a better court monitor! YAY!

And I course finally got my much needed sunshine (arguably too much--you should see my face) and it was so great to be back in my ol' stomping grounds. I got to see some people that I miss dearly and being in Spokane just makes my heart happy!

Another successful Hoopfest under my belt! I wonder how many more I'll do before I become a Court Marshall.....

No comments: