31 May 2008

Sex and the City Movie!


I just got back from seeing the Sex and the City movie (finally!). I've been literally waiting for this movie to come out since I first caught wind of it MONTHS ago. And I'll be the first to say it was worth the wait...

Annie and I went together because, frankly, Sex and the City has always been a huge part of our friendship. It served as our reward for long stretches of studying, the key to a lazy Sunday or the cornerstone of a Girls Night In.

I feel as thought I can't say much because I don't want to spoil it for the few readers of my blog who have yet to see the movie, but it was truly fantastic. I get nervous when something like Sex and the City--something that has become a cult hit, a pop icon, an integral part of everyday vernacular--is taken to the big screen. The series finale tied up all the lose ends and I felt that it was ended particularly well. That being said, I felt that they could spoil that contentment I felt at the end of season 6. But bravo to Michael Patrick King and Co! Ends were untied, no doubt, but tied up tightly again. My heart was broken momentarily, but quickly put back together. And most importantly for me, the little things that made me love the show were there. Miranda's cynical outlook, Charlotte's undying optimism, Samantha's curt humor and Carrie's play on words. All there. And then some.

I love this show. And now I love the movie. The themes of love, honesty and true friendship runs much, much deeper than the sexual innuendos and outlandish tales of the womens' love escapades, making it SO much more than just Sex and the City.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

OMG I just saw it today and LOVED it!