20 September 2008

The Phantom of the Opera



Wednesday night I had the pleasure of taking in one my favorite stage performances at The Paramount: The Phantom of the Opera. I went with my co-worker Christa and we had great time.

I have a storied history with the Phantom. I was originally introduced to it when I was a 4th grader--my music teacher at the time was in love with it as well and shared that with our music class. So my appreciation for Andrew Lloyd Webber's classic started early. And continued until the accumulation of seeing it in London while studying abroad in the summer of 2005. I was fortunate enough to see it at Her Majesty's Royal Theatre right in London--the very theatre the original the play debut at. It was a pretty great experience.

Here is Brandi and I in London before the 2005 show:

The Seattle performance was quite good! As with the London performance, I did not particularly care for the gentlemen playing the Phantom. But I think I have pretty expectations seeing that I've been listening to the soundtrack since elementary school! But the man who played Raoul was fantastic! He had a great voice and really good staged presence. The woman who played Christine was pretty good! Overall, I really enjoyed this cast. The Paramount is such a great venue to begin with, adding my favorite performances only makes life better.

My next show at The Paramount will be Spring Awakening--critically acclaimed and winner of 8 Tony Awards.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Ohhh so, so, SO jealous Jen!! I hope to hear you have been playing your dashboard since!

Melissa said...

ohhhh I saw Phantom for the first time in London too- and its coming to Spokane next month and I have tickets and am so excited!

I saw Spring Awakening in NYC. Its really really good- but really really graphic. Do you have the soundtrack? If not, I will send it to you. Let me know