04 January 2009

Thy Will Be Done

While it is no secret I loved many, many things about Gonzaga, one of my favorite things about ol' GU was/is Father Spitzer. He didn't preside over mass that often, but when he did, it was well worth the 45 minute homily in the wooden pews.

I loved how he would get so engrossed in his homily that he would feel the need to apologize and end his sermon with, 'I got a little carried away'. And he need not apologize--his best stuff came when he 'got carried away'.

I feel like a have a rolodex of the all priceless nuggets of wisdom that Father Spitzer bestowed upon us during our time at Gonzaga. But there is one little phrase that has always stood out and has helped me when I wasn't sure what to say. Father Spitzer told us that when we weren't sure what to pray for, what to ask God for, what to say to Him to say 4 simple words: Thy Will Be Done.

I was reminded of this tonight while attending a friend's baptism at Mars Hill Church. We sang a song that had the phrase repeated over and over. I couldn't help but smile, thinking of Father Spitzer. And realizing how powerful those 4 words truly are.

No comments: