20 January 2009

Balancing Act



Earlier this month, I was cleaning out my closet and I found a picture of me. It was taken right before graduation. But most importantly, it was a time when I was the happiest and healthiest I have ever been. And as I sat on the floor of my closet amid hangers, old shoes, pictures and boxes I promised myself I would get back to that point: happy and healthy.

I know it's early into 2009, but so far I'm a big fan of this year. Since early December, I've been very consciously working on the trifecta of life: mind, body and spirit

MIND
I've been reading a ridiculous amount lately--even more so than usual. I'm averaging about a book a week! I've finally picked up a book I've been intimidated to read for quite awhile, C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity. I am taking my time and trying to soak it all in. I don't think I've focused this much on a book since Philosophy 467! And I will learn Italian this year. Yes, I will.

BODY
I'm running regularly again, which makes my heart soar and my lungs burn. Basketball is still the highlight of my week. And I've been trying to eat healthy--that's been the real challenge!

SPIRIT
And while I can't say that I'm totally settled with my crisis of conscious I've been having with religion, I'm making progress and generally feel okay about where I am at, but very good about where I'm going. I've been regularly reading my bible, started a study group with some friends and going to mass regularly. I'm sort of a freelance Catholic, I guess. This is definitely the biggest work in process, but I'm feeling more settled.

I haven't felt this balanced since I've moved out to Seattle, so to be at this point is somewhat of a relief--a regrouping of my former self.

And it just feels good.

No comments: